"All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Monday, October 10, 2011

Research, a Short Treatise on How to Accomplish the Gathering of Information


            Ah, research. That wonderful word that means, “type x into google and hope you get a page on Wikipedia.” This is more or less my criteria for just about any type of research. I often think if it wasn’t for Wikipedia my model UN performance would have been even more stumbling and incomprehensible.
            For this particular piece I typed in Life Peer into wikipedia, to come up with the list of men appointed to fill in those seats in the house of lords left vacant by hunting accidents, impotence, hemophilia, and madness, or as the British nobility call it, natural causes. I found my great grandfather’s name in the Harold Wilson section, from 1964- 1970. I linked to Harold Wilson, to learn more about the labour party of the day, to which my great-grandfather fervently belonged.
            After this was done, I typed in my great-grandfather’s name (William Francis Kenrick Wynne-Jones, a name that seems to simply to begging for a title to be appendage to it). The results were modest I admit, and many were of the “List of llfe peers” variety, but I did manage to find two that were of interest. The first of these was for a book he had co-authored, along with the information that it was available at Cornell University. The second was an overview of his life that proved rather helpful .

No comments:

Post a Comment